Saturday, January 19, 2008

Board behavior and other thoughts

A reader has asked about my views on the behavior of Lebanon Community School District board members. I have not attended a board meeting in some months, so I don't have an opinion about behavior at recent meetings.

Given that when I did attend board meetings, it was common for me to read a report of that meeting in the Democrat-Herald and feel I must have been at a different meeting than the reporter, I hesitate to put too much stock in newspaper meeting reports.

What I can say is I attended several meetings when Tom McHill was chair, and several when Rick was chair. My impression was that McHill was arrogant, that Sprenger and Fisher just tolerated rather than heard opinions from the audience when they didn't agree with the opinion being voiced, and that Rick and Josh actively encouraged and listened to parents and community members of divergent views.

That being said, I do think it's in the best interest of all for cordial communication and respect of others with opposing views, whether they are other board members or constituents.

It is interesting to see letters in The Express and D-H now, supporting Robinson and damning Rick. I keep recalling the photo I saw in one of the papers months ago, of a crowd -- a seemingly large crowd -- of folks holding signs and speaking to the board and encouraging members to terminate Robinson.

It seems that shrieks of "illegal" have drowned the voices of reason: It is common now to hear people state so authoritatively and with certainty that Rick and Josh behave recklessly and illegally as board members. The truth is, if you get 3 attorneys in a room you are likely to get 3 different legal opinions. Didn't the current district legal counsel approve the contracting out of custodial services that was later judged to be illegal, costing the district significant money? (I am sure you all will correct me if I am not recalling that correctly.)

How about the district contracting with some other well-respected law firm well-grounded in school law, and letting go of the current attorney who seems to be buddies with Robinson. The district pays this attorney to represent the district's best interest, not Robinson's best interest. It seems to me the current long-time board attorney wants what's personally best for Robinson vs. for our community.

I know.....when Robinson sued Rick and Josh he did hire a private attorney to handle the lawsuit, vs. using the district's attorney. But fresh, competent legal opinions about board behavior would be most welcome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, if you are concerned enough about about our school district to start this blog, why don't you attend board meetings?

IE said...

I don't attend board meetings because:

1. My youngest child is too young to be alone in the evenings, so there is the child-care issue. If not for the following two reasons, though, this one is surmountable.

2. I've never felt my input was particularly welcome or seriously considered, when given at a board meetings. I doubt if that would be different now that Sprenger is in charge.

3. Each time I have attended a meeting, I've left feeling furious. Can't imagine what my blood pressure would be if taken right after a meeting. It's not worth a health impact. (I've had others give this same reason for passing on board meetings, which is interesting to me.)

Anonymous said...

Any thoughts on Sweet Home now having serious concerns over PIE's administration of its charter schools.

With the Sweet Home and Lebanon districts questioning PIE's operations and the state beginning to investigate the parents of the those charter schools are soon going to have to decide what they value more, their school or Jay Jackson and Mary Northern.

IE said...

RE PIE: I guess time will tell...I'm not jumping to your conclusions. We'll all just have to see how this unfolds. But I do believe Robinson will do whatever he can to destroy a local charter school: Competition.

Dennis said...

"But I do believe Robinson will do whatever he can to destroy a local charter school: Competition."

I have seen no evidence that Robinson views charter schools as competition.

Frankly, without evidence, this is a rather outrageous and insulting claim to make (there is some evidence that Robinson supports charter schools, after all).

So, IE.... you have any evidence to back this up?

Anonymous said...

How can you form your opinion of what is going on if you do not attend Board meetings? Oh yeah you must be Josh's wife because you have little ones. And I am quite sure you are so it really blinded your view of things. It does not make you objective with your thinking.

Anonymous said...

1)Where do you get your information from if you don't go to Board Meetings--even to just listen--and you said you don't trust newspaper articles?

1)Did you know we wouldn't have a charter school in Lebanon if Jim R. didn't support them? They are not mandatory for all districts.