Monday, July 14, 2008

Little hope for "reconciliation"

At this point, after a back and forth with LT and others over on that blog, I am wondering if there is any hope for "reconciliation" among factions in this district.

I certainly do not feel that MY views have been sincerely even heard, let alone considered, by that faction. It feels to me like they take a "my way or the highway" approach, but of course, that is looking at it from my perspective.

One MORE time -- if Robinson really has changed...great. But it will take significant time for many of us to believe it. We will have to see repeated examples of a compassionate and respectful administrator. I don't think we have that time.

One MORE time -- I don't agree with everything Rick does (however, I would trust Rick to manage my children's education more than I would LT because I think we need more than legal-type analysis to guide decisions).

One MORE time -- There are many problems in this district that DO pre-date Robinson, but he has rubbed so many people the wrong way so strongly, that he needs to move on before there is any hope of people in this district coming together.

Given that there is this vocal anti-Rick and pro-Robinson faction in the community, we are more divided than ever.

You know, if I showed up regularly at board meetings, LT and I would still disagree: We see things through a different mental filter. LT and supporters would just come up with another reason not to be open-minded.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you are presupposing a never ending disagreement with LT even if you attended the board meetings aren't you the one with the closed mind? If you choose ahead of time that you will never agree then you are the one with the closed mind.

IE said...

I have attended several board meetings this year. I do not think LT and I would perceive what happens at board meetings the same way, as we did not at the meetings I did attend. There are also other issues and points of disagreement that have nothing to do with behaviors at board meetings -- the academy system for one. There are others as well.

And yes, I have concluded that LT and I are unlikely to agree. I am willing to openly look at other opinions, and feel I continue to do so. Obviously, you are free to disagree with me.

Anonymous said...

"LT and supporters would just come up with another reason not to be open-minded."

"It feels to me like they take a "my way or the highway" approach, ..."

"he needs to move on before there is any hope of people in this district coming together."

I agree with the first anon, you seem to be set in stone. Even your reply makes it seem that your position cannot change regardless of the facts at hand. You mention academies. No educational change can be appropriately evaluated before 5-10 years have passed. But you all ready have deemed academies a failure. On what basis? What evidence, statistical please not "feelings". The only statistics I have seen are drop-out rate and discipline rates, both of which have declined during the time of academies. Statistically this is not significant there could be many other factors involved, including closed campus, different economic situation, changing demographics, etc.
Personally, I think you, LT, and Dennis are all focusing on the wrong place. It does not matter who is in charge, the superintendent or the school board, if the community itself is divided. In the 30+ years I have lived here, that divide has always existed. Previously, there was definite outs for those who chose to forego education. But the mills are closed now and the need for basic technical skills have grown exponentially. That is one are that I agree with Mr. Robinson, we need to educate more students beyond the basics and technical education. But, so long as half the community views education as unnecessary past basic skills and half the community wants increased standards, no leadership will be successful.