Monday, June 23, 2008

A spinoff on the question of students addressing teachers by first names

If teachers and administrators introduced themselves to parents using their first and last name (vs. Mr. Jones or Mrs. Smith or Ms. Green) would parents feel they were seen more as equal adult partners in the business of educating their children?

This thought was sparked by a recent discussion on the other educational blogs, around teachers allowing students to call them by first names, or by their last name alone..like "Head," as last year's band teacher, Josh Head, was often called by his students.

There are pros and cons to the issue around students using first names to address teachers, but I generally figure it's up to the individual teacher. I will add that teachers I see my children respecting are teachers who are confident, competent, and caring: There does not seem to be a correlation between what the teacher is called and the level or type of respect my students report for the teacher.

But when I think about my own interactions with teachers and administrators, there is a correlation between those I have found easiest and most satisfying to work with as a parent, and those who suggest I call them by their first name.

Now we know that correlation does not equal causation, so it may be there are other factors that account for my feeling heard and respected by these folks. But it's one small change for some teachers/administrators that might lead to positive interactions with some of us parents. At least it might be worth a try.

No comments: